Book Fund! Help End the Summer Slide!
We’re determined to prevent the summer slide! While summer is a time to farm, get outside, and have fun – we also need to remember that learning and reading should never stop! According to Scholastic:
- During the school year, lower income children’s skills improve at close to the same rate as those of their more advantaged peers – but over the summer, middle- and upper-income children’s skills continue to improve, while lower income children’s skills do not.
- It is estimated that the “Summer Slide” accounts for as much as 85% of the reading achievement gap between lower income students and their middle- and upper-income peers.
- Regardless of ethnicity, socioeconomic level, or previous achievement, children who read four or more books over the summer fare better on reading-comprehension tests in the fall than their peers who read one or no books over the summer.
- 3rd graders who can’t read on grade level are four times less likely to graduate by age 18 than a proficient reader
- Having reading role-model parents or a large book collection at home has a greater impact on kids’ reading frequency than does household income.
- Reading as a leisure activity is the best predictor of comprehension, vocabulary and reading speed.
- An overwhelming 92% of kids say they are more likely to finish a book they picked out themselves.
WE CAN STOP THE SLIDE! We’re determined to purchase four NEW BOOKS for every student at CS 55 – and best of all, let them pick from grade appropriate titles – AND – take them home for summer! We seek to purchase over 3,000 new books! Help us read our way to continued success and gift a book donation now!